This article may contain spoilers for Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie! Turn back (unless you don't care about spoilers)!
The Green-Eyed People (also called Green Eyes) are a fictional group of characters mentioned in the Hey Arnold! TV series. Their first physical appearance is in Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie, where they play a pivotal role.
A mysterious tribe living deep within the jungles of San Lorenzo, the Green Eyes seem to be quite advanced, as they have built large stone structures (including a hidden city with mechanical parts made of stone), and possess several artifacts, many of which incorporate emeralds in their designs. Some of their artifacts even appear to possess magical properties, such as the Corazón.
The Green Eyes have kept themselves a secret from the rest of the world for years. They have only interacted directly with adventurers Miles Shortman, his love interest-turned-wife Stella, and the couple’s friend Eduardo, who usually relayed messages from the Green Eyes to Miles and Stella. Miles and Stella first discovered the existence of the Green Eyes when one of their members saved the couple from going over a waterfall.
Later, the Green Eyes asked Miles and Stella to return a sacred relic, the Corazón, which had been stolen by the river pirate Lasombra. Upon recovering the artifact (which they did not look at out of respect for the Green Eyes), the couple dropped it off at a stone shrine, where the Green Eyes whisked their treasure away as soon as Miles and Stella had their backs turned. The same thing occurred when the Green Eyes requested a cure for an outbreak of the potent sleeping sickness.
Though the Green Eyes have had minimal contact with Miles and Stella, they have asked for the couple’s help on several occasions (usually via Eduardo or a written message), and have expressed their trust and gratitude by giving Miles and Stella gifts, such as a small artifact when they returned the Corazón, and matching pendants after they discovered and delivered a cure for the sleeping sickness. In addition, they were responsible for delivering Abner to Miles and Stella as a wedding gift, as well as guiding Stella to a safe place (one of their temples) when she was about to give birth.
The tribe is aware of Arnold’s name and existence, as they managed to witness his birth, and how all of nature seemed to fall silent when he was born.
- 60. "Parents Day" (indirectly mentioned)
- 99-100. "The Journal" (behind the scenes)
- Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie (first full appearance)
- In real life, there are no (pure) green-eyed Amerindians, which makes the Green-Eyed People even more mysterious, as it could mean they have a different origin from the rest of the native population of the Americas.
- Despite this ambiguity, however, it is obvious that the Green Eyes are heavily modeled after several Meso-American societies and cultures, such as the Mayans and the Aztecs. Additionally, their homeland, the (fictional) country of San Lorenzo, is based on several Latin-American nations in regions such as South America and Central America.