|Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie|
Fan Poster by genaminna
Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie was going to be the second and final movie of the canon Hey Arnold! series.
The Jungle Movie (often abbreviated as "TJM") is a term commonly used by the crew and the fans of Hey Arnold! to refer to the planned second movie inspired in the series. The movie is also sometimes referred to as "Hey Arnold 2: The Movie".
Backround and updates
Originally, The Jungle Movie was supposed to be released as the theatrical feature of the series. Drafts of the movie were written and developed between 1998-2001, and it's rumored the script is in its 6th or 7th draft. A number of storyboards were also drafted by then co-director Raymie Muzquiz.
A special one-hour episode called "The Journal" was also made to link the series to the movie.
However, Nickelodeon executives decided that the made-for-TV movie, Arnold Saves the Neighborhood, should be given the release instead in 2002. Hey Arnold!: The Movie turned out unsuccessful at the worldwide box office but they still wanted the movie completed. Craig Bartlett, however, was working on another show for Nickelodeon's rival, Cartoon Network and one of the conditions for making the movie was to work for Nick exclusively. After Craig refused, the movie was cancelled. The TV Series was also cancelled shortly after the first airing of the Journal, during its 5th Season.
Nickelodeon and Paramount currently own the rights to the film and the story, but currently, there are no plans to put it into production.
Craig Bartlett still does not want to reveal the plot line completely, but much of it has leaked through his chats.
There is a slim chance the story may be released as a book or a graphic novel sometime in the future. In an interview with Justin Shenkarow, the voice of Harold in the series, it was hinted that discussions between Nick and Bartlett had been going on about possibly green-lighting the second movie. Bartlett later confirmed that he was indeed going into meetings with Nickelodeon exects in a 2012 interview with The Arun Mehta Show.
It was, for a time, rumoured that the movie would be released if enough interest in it was found among fans. Since then, Craig has announced that he is now officially working on a new show for Nickelodeon called "Sky Rat" and he wants to work on this new show beforehand. He still wants to produce TJM, granted his revived good terms with Nickelodeon go well. Currently though, the films status has not changed. Cyma Zarghami, the president of Nick, has told Craig she has been receiving numerous letters and fan mail about Hey Arnold!
Arnold's name is revealed in the opening scene. A man comes to the door of the boarding house with a package for him and he signs his full name.
The whole class, who are now in the fifth grade, go to San Lorenzo in Central America after Arnold wins them an essay contest. However, he has his own secret agenda to go look for his parents with the map that he found in the episode "The Journal".
Arnold meets the mysterious Green Eyed people, the people his parents were helping. When he was born, he silenced all of nature (the erupting volcano), which prompted the Green Eyes to believe that he is divine. The Green Eyes have designed a motif that is shaped like a football head in all their architecture. They are also impressed with Helga's ferocity. This makes the Green Eyes semi-worship Arnold and Helga. The Green Eyes also think very highly of Miles and Stella, because they’ve all saved each other’s lives before, many times.
La Sombra, a villain who was briefly seen in the episode "The Journal" is a big character of the movie, he is Miles and Stella's enemy. He is a mercenary treasure hunter and river pirate, who goes in disguise. La Sombra is after La Corazón, a fabulous jewel and a sacred relic of the Green Eyes, which can't be seen in the light of day.
Arnold finally takes the next step in his relationship with Helga. While in the first movie she confesses her love for him, but he dodges out of telling how he feels in return. In The Jungle Movie, he completes the conversation. She acts like she still hates him again, but after they "get together" they realize that they are meant for each other. In the end of the movie they share a short kiss (during a scene when they are in a hurry), but Gerald interrupts them. When they make a really lame excuse he says "Whatever you say". By that point, most of the characters in the movie would probably already notice what's going on between Arnold and Helga, and would start teasing them about it.
Raymie Muzquiz Storyboards
In the storyboards, La Sombra is revealed, turning out to be the blue shirted river pirate shown in Roger Luan's concept art. The scene starts with a monkey climbing over a long wall into the compound, with the text hinting to what happened in the previous scene. It pans into La Sombra's hut, where he has Arnold held captive.
Two of his thugs are also in the room. La Sombra instructs one of the thugs to open a plate of tastey-looking food, but Arnold ignores it. La Sombra persists, trying to get Arnold to tell him where the hidden city of the Green-Eyed people is, but Arnold again avoids the topic, arguing that if he knew that, he'd probably find his parents.
La Sombra grows angrier and orders his thugs to restrain Arnold. The same monkey from the opening scene fallows in the background, watching the thugs capture Arnold and through him in a storeroom. The map falls in after him. La Sombra explains how he thinks a good night's sleep might jog his memory. Plus, he'd hate to hurt Arnold's friends "on accident". Then the thugs close the door. Arnold runs to the door but it's locked.
Characters that go to San Lorenzo
- Arnold Now ten years old, he is on his quest to find answers to his parents' disappearance.
- Helga Since the first movie, she's acted like she hates Arnold again but that appears to change.
- Gerald He interrupts Arnold and Helga's kiss in the end of the movie, and after hearing their lame excuse he responds, "Whatever you say."
- Harold He does his usual bullying stuff with Stinky and Sid. "I'm the boss and I say we're doin' it!"
- Sid He tags along with Harold and Stinky.
- Stinky He tags along with Harold and Sid.
- Rhonda She totally freaks out in the jungle.
- Nadine For her, the jungle is like heaven. "There are 20,000 species of spider in San Lorenzo!"
- Brainy He helps Helga to get her act together, and is thrown overboard by her a couple of times. In the middle of the story, Helga is fed up and she gives up completely. However, Brainy kind of helps her back to life.
- Eugene He jinxes it up like crazy by getting allergic attacks, his legs puff up like balloons and he is nearly eaten by piranhas; among other misfortunes.
- Phoebe Her role is not known, but she is pictured in the concept art.
- Olga She drives Helga crazy on the trip.
- Mr. Simmons He is now the fifth grade teacher of Arnold's class.
- Principal Wartz He tags along with the group because he always wanted to go to Central America.
Other students of Mr. Simmons's class also participate in the trip.
- Miles He is Arnold's father who went missing in San Lorenzo 9 years ago. His whereabouts are unknown.
- Stella She is Arnold's mother and Miles' wife. She went with Miles to help the Green Eyes but also disappeared.
- Eduardo He is Miles and Stella's most trusted friend who witnessed Arnold's birth "silence all of nature" in "The Journal." In one of the sketches, it's suggested Eduardo drives a steam-powered riverboat.
- The Green-Eyed People They are the original and mysterious inhabitants of San Lorenzo.
- La Sombra He is an evil river pirate and treasure hunter; Miles and Stella's arch enemy.
- This wasn't the only animated movie cancelled by Nickelodeon Studios. Others include Aaahh!!! Real Monsters: The Movie, Ren & Stimpy: The Movie, Jimmy Neutron: The Search for Carl, Pelswick: The Movie, and Catscratch: Saving Waffle. Doug: The Movie was also cancelled, but was later renamed Doug's 1st Movie and made by Walt Disney Pictures.
Fans of the Hey Arnold! series have set up campaign web sites and Facebook groups asking for The Jungle Movie to be released.
- JUNGLE MOVIE PETITION (goal is 30,000 signatures)
- Hey Arnold! Save The Jungle Movie!! 100,000 People!! ~ Group on Facebook
- Operation Ruthless (Opruth) ~ Blog on Tumblr
- Save The Jungle Movie ~ Blog on Blogspot
- MOVE IT FOOTBALL HEAD! ~ Blog on Tumblr
- Save The Jungle Movie UK ~ Page on Facebook
- See also Fanfics about San Lorenzo
- "Hey Arnold! The Movie 2: Return to San Lorenzo" by Unsure-Dreamer-87
- "The Jungle Fanfic" by MeganKoumori
- "The Jungle Movie" by If Wishes Were Blue Skies
- "Jaguars" by Cybra
- "The Jungle movie fanfic" by WildAngel16
- "The Arnold and Helga Chronicles XVIII: Welcome to the Jungle" by Jake Collins (TheEyeShield)
- "Chismes" by Number6 (in Spanish)
- "My version of Hey Arnold! TJM" by Kisstriss
- "Sentimientos ocultos parte 2" by Laura11 (in Spanish)
- "Eres para mi" by Ratoncito82 (in Spanish)
- "Proof" by PennyBlue
- "The Jungle Movie" by Taylort
- "Return to San Lorenzo" by sueKay-04
- "The Jungle: Journey to San Lorenzo" by OoOIzzyOoO
- "The Jungle Movie: Los Tres Observadores" by RinandSess
- "Hey Arnold 2: The Journey to San Lorenzo " by valcanous
- "The Map That Led Home" by ElectricAmethyst
- "Peter, Sonic, and Link: The Cross-Over Crystals" by Godzilla2915
- Hey Arnold! — The Jungle Movie Fanmade Projects! community on Livejournal — Community in which you can also share your ideas, plot devices for The Jungle Movie fan project, and also a place to post/share all of your projects, whether they be for The Jungle Movie, the years after The Jungle Movie, The Patakis, and even the years after The Patakis.
- Project Heart (Fan Project)
- ↑ Confirmed Notes About “The Jungle Movie” on Hey Arnold! - A Critical Analysis by Tendra
- ↑ The Jungle Movie: Facts and Opinions, by HAFanForever
- ↑ Storyboards by co-director Raymie Muzquiz, from his official site
- See also: Hey Arnold! The Movie Cancelled Sequel