|Episode of Hey Arnold!|
|Part Time Friends|
|Season 1, Episode 19a|
|Written by: Joseph Purdy|
|Air date: November 30, 1998|
|IMDb • TV.com|
Don Del Grande's
Part Time Friends is an episode in the Hey Arnold! TV Series.
In need of money, Arnold and Gerald get a job at Mrs. Vitello's flower shop. When Mrs. Vitello is injured, she leaves Gerald in charge, and the boys' friendship is put to the test, as Gerald bosses Arnold around, without helping him out. Eventually, Arnold becomes fed up, and quits, and the two vow never to speak to each other again. That night Grandpa Phil learns about Arnold and Gerald, and tells Arnold a story about how when he was younger, he and his childhood best friend Jimmy Kafka broke up their friendship over a similar argument, and to this day, they never made up. Later, Arnold has a nightmare about how he meets Gerald 70 years later, and the two are still not talking to each other, only now they don't even remember what it was they fought about. Then they are taunted by a zombie Grandpa Phil. Arnold wakes up in horror, realizing that he must make amends. He finds Gerald at the shop, struggling to keep up with the customers' demands, and they put their argument aside to work together to get through the demand.
- On international broadcasts, this episode is paired with "Runaway Float", but in the US, it was first aired along with "Biosquare".
- This episode was first released in the U.S. on July 28, 1998 as part of the "Partners" VHS tape.
- Friday night has been Checkers Night for Arnold and Gerald since they were 7 years old.
- The Vitello flower shop has existed since Phil was a kid, as shown in the flashback. However, unlike the current flower shop (which is located across the street from the boarding house), the shop was located on the same side of Vine Street as the boarding house back in the 1920s.
- Quigley Stadium was built in the mid 1920s.
- Arnold can skillfully sculpt shrubbery.
- A sign by the cash register reads "a flower a day -- chases the blues away".
- During a dream sequence in this episode, Arnold imagines himself as an old man boarding the bus only to find Gerald sitting; the two begin to bicker. At the end of the sequence, a demonic-like version of Phil with shriveled up skin and double toned voice appears in the back of the bus to deliver a cryptic message to Arnold before having his jaw fall to the bus floor. This scene is commonly considered one of the more frightening and disturbing moments of Hey Arnold! by most fans and cartoons in general. It was placed as #16 on Blameitonjorge's Top 20 Disturbing Moments in Kids Shows.
- When Gerald puts money in the cash register, it's green, but when Mrs. Vitello gives Arnold and Gerald their pay, it's brown.
|This article is a stub. You can help Hey Arnold Wiki by expanding it.|