Trash Can Day is a tradition of P.S. 118 were the 5th graders put 4th graders into trash cans or dumpsters which Arnold and the gang can avoid if they go to Mrs. Vitello's flower shop but plenty have failed due to it being 8 blocks away.
The Legend of Trash Can Day as told by Gerald
"No one of us knows exactly when the terrible fearsome tradition began, however, all agree that Trash Can Day is the most diabolical day ever invented. The day is always upon the first Monday of June, the day before trash pickup, when the rancid refuse of society lies in fly- and maggot-infected trash containers all over the city! My friends, today is that day! Fifth graders all over the city search out uncircumspecting fourth graders like us, catch them, and with the most heinous abandon, plop them unceremoniously into trash cans. When the three o'clock bell rings, we all of us become fair game! And no one of us is same from the wrath of the fifth grade."
Students who have been put into trash cans
- Joey Stevenson - Being put into a trash can by a 5th grader in the hall way.
- Iggy - A trash can being put on top of his head and escaped.
- Thaddeus "Curly" Gammelthorpe - Being put into a trash can by a 5th grader and escaped.
- Stinky - Canned himself when trying to hide from the 5th graders which he realized was rather ironic.
- Sid - He got canned after being in a basement and jumping on the generator, even though he avoided a 5th grader, one snatched him and escaped.
- Eugene - After being thrown back by Harold, Wolfgang puts him into a trash can and escapes.
- Harold - After being left behind on a bus and escapes.
- Arnold and Gerald - Both stuffed in the trash can after being betrayed by Mickey the Weasel.